For the way from the Swiss border to Schaffhausen, a distance of 14 km, we have needed slightly over 3 hours. As a reward, the Munot town of Schaffhausen awaits us with its sights, its hospitable restaurants, and also places of quietness and reflection.A small distance to the south of the railway station stands the Obertor tower from the 13th century. A few steps away, we come to the Fronwag square with the tower of the same name, and the “Metzgerbrunnen” (butcher’s fountain). In the Vorstadt to the north, after the ”Mohrenbrunnen” (moor’s fountain), many houses of well-do-do citizens, with oriel windows and painted facades stand in rows side by side, as for instance the “Haus zum Ritter”, or “Goldener Ochsen” (around 1600). In the northern part stands the Schwabentor tower from the 14th century.
A few metres after the border, the path gets wider. We have a stretch of roughly 14 km before us until Schaffhausen. After only a few minutes, we come to a way-post indicating a walking time of 2 hours 45 minutes for that stretch. We briefly abandon the hiking trail and make a side-trip up to the Hagenturm (tower).
If the weather is clear, we can see from its trellis platform the Black Forest, the mountains of the Allgäu, Lake Constance, the Säntis peak, the mountains of Glarus and Uri and the snow peaks of the Bernese High Alps. Back on the hiking trail again, we continue in a southern direction. We proceed through a dark wood and come past Hasenbuck (835m) and Heidenbomm (820m), to the Talisbänkli (840m) which we reach after 1 hour. Between Heidenbomm and Talisbänkli, we use the road on part of the way until we turn off to the hiking trail leading to the Heidenbänkli.
On the right-hand side, the road leads down into the valley to Hemmental from where a somewhat shorter hiking trail also leads to Schaffhausen.
Randen forest Road
At Talisbänkli, there is a small pavilion with tables containing information on fauna and flora of the Randen. We learn that at hidden places, the lady’s shoe prospers, in bloom from May to June, and that chamois also live here.On forest roads, we continue in a south-western direction via Guger, Zelgli and Mösli (836m). From there, south-eastwards across the road (that leads to Siblingen) to the forest path that brings us to the resting place Hägliloo, one hour after leaving Talisbänkli. Hägliloo is at a level of 660m on a clearing offering a good outlook. Near the parking space at the mountain road coming up from Beringen, we take to the forest path to the left leading us through a mature timber stand into the Eschheimertal.
To the right along the edge of the wood, we walk slightly downhill past flowery meadows until we come to the parking spaces Wolfsbuck and Gretzenacker (564m), some 45 minutes after leaving Hägliloo. These parking spaces are situated at the end of the road coming up from Schaffhausen, and on which we go as far as Lahnbuck (536m). Here, we leave the road and walk between maize fields in the direction of the town. Soon we reach the first nice villas and single-family houses at the upper part of the slope above Schaffhausen. The route leads steeply downhill. Through the mist, the towers of the old city emerge. Then we come to the town-part Riet (475m) where the city bus just stops. We withstand the temptation and make it on foot in 25 minutes to the railway station of Schaffhausen (403m).
The development of the town, now numbering 35’000 inhabitants, was favoured in the Middle Ages by its proximity to the Rhine-fall. All the loads transported on the Rhine had to be transhipped here. In the 11th century, the counts of Nellenburg were the noblemen of Schaffhausen. Count Eberhard is believed to be the town’s founder (around 1040). At the eastern edge of the town, we come to the Munot hill, the landmark of the town.
Castle tower Munot
Using the Munotstieg (stairs) or the Römerstieg (stairs of the Romans), we climb up to the castle above a vineyard and protected on its northern side by a trench. The castle with circular wall and tower, built 1564 – 1585, offers an attractive view over the old part of the town and the Rhine. On the south, the monastery compound of All Saints forms the end of the old part of the town towards the Rhine.